Archived - Department of Finance to Report and Consult on International Aid
Archived information is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
November 6, 2014 – Ottawa, Ontario – Department of Finance
The Department of Finance today announced that it will begin reporting under the International Aid Transparency Initiative, and that it is launching consultations on its Official Development Assistance contributions, as required by the Official Development Assistance Accountability Act.
The consultations seek comments on the Department’s contributions to:
- the International Development Association of the World Bank Group;
- multilateral debt relief;
- AgResults; and
- Canada’s financial assistance to Ukraine.
The consultations are open to the public as well as governmental, non-governmental and international organizations. The feedback received will help make the Department’s Official Development Assistance more effective.
A consultation document is provided for guidance. Comments should be sent to APD-consultation-ODA@fin.gc.ca by December 19, 2014.
- Canada’s Official Development Assistance plays a critical role in improving the lives of those most in need around the world, by reducing extreme poverty, creating environments conducive to long-term prosperity and security, and providing humanitarian relief.
- In 2013–14, the Department of Finance contributed $503 million out of the Government’s total contribution of $4.6 billion for Official Development Assistance.
- Canada’s $200-million low-interest loan to Ukraine aims to support programming consistent with Canadian development priorities. The terms of the loan include a provision enabling Canada to perform an audit of funds used during the course of the agreement, as well as an obligation for Ukraine to provide regular reports detailing the funds’ use.
- Canada is increasing its efforts to provide more information on its international assistance to Canadians and the world. As part of these efforts, the Department of Finance will issue regular reports under the International Aid Transparency Initiative, which aims to make information about aid spending easier to find, use and compare.
- The International Aid Transparency Initiative
- Canada and the International Aid Transparency Initiative
Office of the Minister of Finance
Department of Finance