Corporate Services Branch
- Corporate Planning Division
- Financial Management Division
- Human Resources, Security and Planning Directorate
- Information Management and Technology Division
The Corporate Services Branch provides service and support to the Department in the areas of administration, corporate planning, financial management, human resources, and information management and technology.
The Branch is composed of four main divisions.
Corporate Planning leads the development and implementation of tools, strategies and frameworks to guide planning, monitoring and reporting exercises. It provides strategic advice and recommendations to support senior management decision-making.
- Managing the Department's integrated planning and risk management regime, including production of the annual Report on Plans and Priorities (RPP) and Departmental Performance Report (DPR), and producing and updating the Corporate Risk Profile.
- Implementing requirements of the Policy on Management, Resources and Results Structures including the Department's Program Activity Architecture and Performance Measurement Framework.
- Leading Finance's annual response to the Management Accountability Framework (MAF) assessment.
- Coordinating corporate planning and reporting activities with the Departmental Planning Network.
The Financial Management Division is responsible for financial administration, as well as contracting, procurement and materiel management for the Department of Finance. It is composed of the following groups.
- The Departmental and Public Debt Reporting section is responsible for ongoing financial analysis, recording and processing of a variety of payments, including preparation of financial information for the Public Accounts of Canada, and the production of the Annual Departmental Financial Statements.
- The Financial Planning and Resource Management section is responsible for input into the Estimates documents and financial planning and advisory services, including the operating budget monitoring, reporting, forecasting and reallocation processes.
- The Procurement and Contracting section provides a centralized contracting service by providing advice and guidance through all phases of the contracting process, and preparing appropriate contract documents. The section also reviews contract and procurement requests for compliance with the laws, policies and best practices related to government contracting activity, and advises managers of potential risk.
The Financial Management Division is also the point of contact for shared services provided to the Department by Treasury Board Secretariat (TBS) related to building facilities and accommodations.
The Human Resources, Security and Planning Directorate provides the Department of Finance with strategic services, corporate programs and operational support for human resource (HR) management. The Directorate is also responsible for the departmental security program, policies, and awareness training.
The Directorate is organized to provide client-centred HR programs and services through its three sections:
- The Strategic and Executive Services section manages executive HR services, including staffing and classification; manages executive programs such as performance management and talent management; supports departmental integrated business and HR planning; and provides strategic advice and support to senior-level committees.
- The Human Resources Operations section supports management with their non-EX recruitment, staffing, classification and labour relations needs; provides transactional and advisory services to managers; and coordinates key corporate initiatives, such as the annual University Recruitment campaign.
- The Corporate Programs section develops and interprets HR policy; and provides advice and expertise in staffing, classification, labour relations, official languages, and employment equity.
The Human Resources Directorate also has arrangements with the TBS to provide the Department of Finance with compensation and benefits services, and human resource information management services.
The Information Management and Technology Division (IMTD) provides leadership, strategic planning and services to the Department of Finance to ensure the provision of effective and innovative information and technology management in support of departmental business objectives.
This includes the development and implementation of sound information management practices; stewardship of corporate information; and the provision of published information and library services, business needs analysis, portfolio management, and IT service liaison with TBS as the provider of related shared services.
The IMTD is also the point of contact for shared services provided by TBS to the Department for telecommunications and environmental services, as well as translation, editing, publishing, distribution and mail services.